Sunday was anything but peaceful in Portsmouth. Police officers were kept busy handing a never-ending list of fights, including one involving knives and hammers at PMHA apartments on Kendall Avenue. Seriously, there were so many fights they wouldn’t fit on one slide. Check out the highlights on these nine slides. If you’d like to check out the unfiltered police log with all the details, consider becoming a VIP member. Click here to learn how it works.
Officers heard two different stories after they responded to a disturbance on Dewey Avenue just after midnight.
A man told police that the girlfriend he has a protection order against came to his house with her new boyfriend. He claimed the pair then got in his face in an aggressive manner and he swung on the man to defend himself.
The girlfriend said she and her friend were just walking past the man’s house and he jumped the new boyfriend. Neither side wanted to file a report.
Can’t We All Just Get Along?
- Officers were wanted at Richard Noggins Pub after a man claimed a woman threw a drink in his face. He wanted her arrested. Officers did not make a report.
- Just after 5 am, police answered a domestic call on 8th Street. The parties weren’t afraid of each other, just mad. Both wanted the other person to leave the house.
- Police were called to 18th Street at 8:27 am for an assault report. A woman said the passenger in the car she was driving, spilled a drink and then hit her arm with the back of his hand. Officers said there were no signs of injuries and she did not want to file a report.
- When police answered a domestic call at 8:30 am on 6th Street, they found a broken flowerpot and cereal spilled on the front porch. However, the couple at the scene said everything was fine. The woman was having medical issues but refused an ambulance. Police said her refusal to seek treatment had prompted the argument in the first place.
- Just after 4:30 pm, officers responded to a woman’s report that her ex-husband had harassed her at work. She also claimed he drove by her home. Officers advised her to file a TPO.
Seriously, Can’t We All Just Get Along?
- A separated couple still sharing a home called officers to Robinson Street just before 7 pm. Police advised them to only have contact through text until one of them can find someplace else to go.
- A woman claimed her boyfriend assaulted her at a Logan Street Home just before 8 pm. She had no visible marks and left the scene on foot. Police took a report.
- Police took a report of possible domestic violence at a Thomas Avenue PMHA apartment just after 10 pm. When they arrived, the woman said the man was gone and she would be leaving to stay at her mother’s. About thirty minutes later the man was back and they were once again fighting. No one would answer the door.
- A Baird Avenue man complained that a neighbor shined a laser into his house just before 11 pm. He suspects the man has a gun. Officers said the neighbors are in constant arguments. He was advised to gather video evidence.
- Officers answered a domestic violence call on 6th Street just after 11 pm. A woman said her 13-year-old son assaulted her and her sister. On further investigation, the boy did not assault anyone.
Just A Warning
- Just before 4 am, a caller reported loud drunks in the area for 14th Street. Police advised them to keep it down.
- Officers responded to a report of a man sleeping in someone’s gazebo on Chillicothe Street at 4:23 am. They warned him he was on private property.
Hit and Bike
A car hit a porch of Milldale Road just after 8 am. The driver left the scene on a bicycle. Police had the Honda impounded and took some cash found in the car.
Lending A Hand
- An officer helped a woman jumpstart her vehicle at the Long John Silvers just before 9 am. Portsmouth. Police officers advised her they aren’t mechanics but she was willing to take the risk.
- An ambulance requested that officers stand by a scene at 1:40 pm. The patient had anger issues and did not take his medication. He took his meds in front of officers and eventually calmed down. He did not require transport.
Hey, That’s My Stuff
A caller reported a break-in at a home and garage on Mabert Road. They reported items were strewn all over the place. Officers took a report.
Officers were called to Kroger at 7:51 pm for a report of a shoplifter. The caller reported he took batteries and ran out of the store. Police took a report.
Under the Influence
- A woman reported a tattooed man with a knife overdosing on the porch of her Mound Street Home at 4:38 pm. He was arrested.
- Portsmouth Police officers responded to a report of an overdose in a shed behind a High Street home. The man refused help.
Kendall Avenue Confidential
- A caller told police that two men in a gold Chevy took off after another man at the Royal Inn. Allegedly, the pair planned to rob him. There was no one in the car when officers arrived at Kendall Avenue.
- A report of people fighting with hammers and knives brought several officers to PMHA Apartments on Kendall Avenue just before 7 pm. The fight was over by the time Portsmouth Police officers arrived.
- Three minutes later, police got a report of a woman who had overdosed in the same apartment complex. The caller claimed the woman’s boyfriend had just tried to hang himself but was cut down. All parties refused medical help.