Portsmouth, Ohio released the schedule for flushing the city’s fire hydrants. Flushing fire hydrants ensures a stable water flow to firefighters and to home and business users. The process also clears out iron and other mineral deposits that can clog water lines. However, it does cause some inconvenience for users. Sometimes, customers experience low water pressure or temporarily lose water pressure completely. You may also notice unusually colored water for a period of time. The color comes from the mineral deposits in the water. This water is usually not considered unsafe, but it could stain clothes and may taste off. It’s best to avoid using it until the color clears us again.
The Portsmouth Department of Public Utilities said it will start the flushing process on Thursday, September 10, and continue through October 15. When the flushing process is completed, users should notice an improvement in water service. The flushing process starts at 6 pm and lasts six to eight hours.
Here’s the schedule:
- Thursday September 10, 2020 – All of Sciotoville.
- Tuesday September 15, 2020 – All of Wheelersburg to Franklin Furnace.
- Thursday September 17, 2020 – All of New Boston, north on State Route 139, including Eden Park, Rosemount Rd., west on Gallia St. to Mabert Rd.
- Tuesday September 22, 2020 -West on Gallia St. from Mabert Rd., all areas south of 11th St to Charles St. and west of Offnere St.
- Thursday September 24, 2020 – North to the end of Mabert Rd., from Gallia St., including Wayne Hills area, west from Robinson Ave., Young St. to Offnere St., and areas north to Kinney’s Lane.
- Tuesday September 29, 2020 -South from 11th St, and Offnere St. to Front St. and streets west from Offnere St. to Chillicothe St.
- Thursday October 1, 2020 – North from 12th St. and Offnere St. to Kinney’s Lane. All streets west to Chillicothe St. north to end of Argonne Rd. North on Scioto Trail to Coles Blvd. East on Coles Blvd. to and including Shawnee Rd.
- Tuesday October 6, 2020 – All streets in south/west end of Portsmouth.
- Thursday Ootober 8, 2020 – All of West Portsmouth, including Friendship, north on Routes 73/104.
- Tuesday October 13, 2020 -All of Rosemount area and north on Route 23.
- Thursday October 15, 2020 – All high pressure areas.