The Scioto County Sheriff’s Office is making a big change in the way it handles civilian background checks. Sheriff Marty Donini said it was all due to COVID-19. The Sheriff’s Office hasn’t processed civilian background checks to weeks due to Ohio’s shutdown. Now that they’re resuming checks, they’ll be doing things a lot differently. Let’s break down what that means to you.
No More Walk-Ins
- In order to maintain proper social distancing and because they are expecting a flood of people who need requests, they will no longer allow walk-ins at the Sheriff’s Office. You must make an appointment first.
- Call 740-355-8261 to schedule your appointment. You can call Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:00 pm.
- You must complete the Civilian Fingerprint Background Check form before you get there. You can get a copy of the form from the Sheriff’s website at this link: http://www.sciotocountysheriff.com/2017-FILES/2020WEBCHECK.html You may also stop by the lobby of the Scioto County Sheriff’s Office at 1025 Sixteenth Street in Portsmouth to pick up the form.
One At A Time
Once you get to the Sheriff’s Office, you’ll need to follow these rules:
- Arrive 10 minutes before your appointment
- One visitor at a time allowed in the lobby
- All visitors will have their temperature taken. If it’s over 100.4, you’ll be denied service.
- All visitors and employees must wear masks. No mask, no service.
- Visitors must use the lobby restroom to thoroughly wash their hands.
If you have a high temperature, you will be able to reschedule your appointment.
Exact Change and ID Required
In addition to your completed form, you’ll need to bring the following with you:
- A a valid driver’s license or state-issued identification card.
- Exact change. Fees are cash only and to be paid in exact change.
- If your employer is paying, make sure you have a signed form from them accepting financial responsibility.