House Fire in Portsmouth
Just after 1 pm today, reports of a fully engulfed house fire in the 400 blk of Campbell Ave in Portsmouth rang out. According to the Portsmouth Fire, all residents are accounted for and nobody is left in the house. Another source tells SCDN, 1 person being looked at for possible minor injuries.
Fire departments stress the dangers of having too many space heaters and too many candles in your home. “Too many space heaters overload the power circuits and can cause a fire,” says one local firefighter. Space heaters, candles, and stoves were the most common causes of home heating fires.
National Fire Prevention officials say it is advised to keep a home temperature at 60 degrees to avoid overheating and possible fire. They also say using a stove or oven to heat a home is very dangerous and to never go to bed if this type of heating is absolutely necessary.
Using extension cords is also something you need to be careful with. Professionals say to make sure that any space heaters are plugged directly into the wall.
They also say to check for frayed cords on extension cords.
In this case, after the fire was put out, the Ohio State Fire Marshal was asked to investigate for a cause.
Experts also stress being aware of the home’s escape route if there is a fire. This would be an area near windows, doors, and corners.
Portsmouth House Fire